The Harris and Frances Block Foundation seeks equitable solutions to social and environmental problems, working with small and emerging organizations to improve our communities and impact the world.
The Harris and Frances Block Foundation holds as values:
- Community: Where change begins and grows to scale.
- Justice: Both social and environmental.
- Equality: Aspiring towards a society that honors the potential of all humans.
- Access: Equitable access to systems, resources, and opportunities.
- Sustainability: Both social and environmental.
The Harris and Frances Block Foundation holds a vision for interconnected communities based in diversity, mutual respect, and sustainability.
What We Fund
The Block Foundation supports small grassroots not-for-profit organizations with grants that work to foster just and sustainable communities. We focus our grantmaking in the geographical locations of our Board of Trustees: Vermont, North Carolina, Virginia, and Colorado. Grants that fall within our Human Rights program area may be considered regardless of location, based on critical need. We make grants that are large and small, not exceeding $25,000.
What We Don't Fund
The Block Foundation does not fund:
- Lobbying, or efforts to influence public elections
- Land acquisition
- Capital construction
- Deficit financing
Apply For Funding
To apply for funding, create an account on our portal. We review letters of inquiry on a continual basis, projects that fit within the foundation’s priority areas will be asked to prepare a full proposal for consideration by the foundation’s Board of Trustees.